Microsoft is doing fabulous job on System Center configuration manager product by enhancing ,adding the new features ,update the existing features in the form of Technical preview’s before making them to Production version and they listen the ideas ,suggestions reported through Configuration manager User Voice https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas
A day before (18th Feb 2016) ,Microsoft released Configmgr 1602 (YYMM) for Technical Preview 4 which is latest version (Note : this is only for Technical preview but not for Current Branch V1511,Production version) with some exciting features and updates to the existing features that were in 1601.
One of the most exciting feature is ,You can now upgrade your Operating System running on Windows server 2008 R2 to Windows server 2012 R2 for Configmgr 1602 ,which means,you must first upgrade your Configmgr to Configmgr 1602 version and later do In-place Operating System Upgrade .
what's new in Configmgr 1602 Technical Preview 4 ?
- Windows 10 Team configuration settings
- Automatic creation of Microsoft Office mobile apps for iOS and Android - Microsoft Office mobile apps for iOS and Android are pre-created for customers using ConfigMgr integrated with Microsoft Intune
- Sync Policy button – The new Sync Policy button lets you run the Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle and User Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle with a click of a button. Find it in the Software Center options tab under Computer Maintenance
- In-place upgrade of ConfigMgr Site Server’s operating system – Support for ConfigMgr Site Server’s in-place upgrade of operating system from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2
- iOS Activation Lock management – Capabilities including enabling, querying for the status, retrieving bypass codes, and performing an Activation Lock bypass on corporate-owned iOS devices
Updates to the existing features:
- Improvements to mobile device management
- Improvements to Software Center
- Improvements to Windows 10 Servicing
For more information about Technical preview updates ,installation notes etc. ,please read https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt595861.aspx
For step by step guides,go through https://www.niallbrady.com/2016/02/18/system-center-configuration-manager-technical-preview-1602-is-now-available/
if you have any Ideas or suggestions or improvements that you want to see in Configuration manager, raise them through https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas and get them Implemented.