On this Valentine day (Feb 14,2018 ), Microsoft released Feb 2018 Technical preview version 1802 for Configuration Manager with large number of features (21) that ever released before. These monthly Tech previews generally will be released on Friday's but this time ,shipped few days earlier.
You can install this version to update and add new capabilities to your SCCM technical preview site. To use the technical preview version, you must first install a baseline version of the technical preview build i.e Technical Preview 1711. After installing a baseline version, you then use in-console updates to bring your installation up-to-date with the most recent preview version. Typically, new versions of the Technical Preview are available each month.
If you plan to build new lab ,download the preview baseline version 1711 is available from the TechNet Evaluation Center.
The following are new features you can try out with this Tech Preview 1802 version (21 features/updates):
- Transition Endpoint Protection workload to Intune using co-management
- Configure Windows Delivery Optimization to use Configuration Manager boundary groups
- Windows 10 in-place upgrade task sequence via cloud management gateway
- Improvements to Windows 10 in-place upgrade task sequence
- Improvements to PXE-enabled distribution points
- Deployment templates for task sequences
- Product lifecycle dashboard
- Improvements to reporting
- Improvements to Software Center
- Improvements to Run Scripts
- Boundary group fallback for management points
- Improved support for CNG certificates
- Cloud management gateway support for Azure Resource Manager
- Approve application requests for users per device
- Use Software Center to browse and install user-available applications on Azure AD-joined devices
- Report on Windows AutoPilot device information
- Improvements to Configuration Manager Policies for Windows Device Exploit Guard
- Microsoft Edge browser policies
- Report for default browser counts
- Support for Windows 10 ARM64 devices
- Changes to Phased Deployments
To know more about these features ,Please read through https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/get-started/capabilities-in-technical-preview-1802
To install this tech preview ,login to your console ,Administration ,updates and servicing ,click on check for updates (make sure you have internet connection),wait for a while to see the entry in the console.
Right click on update and choose download
Downloading of the update can be monitored using the log file dmpdownloader.log
Right click on downloaded update and click install
Click next next next
Once the installation is done ,go to monitoring section to check the installation status .You can also monitor cmupdate.log and ConfigMgrSetup.log
Features are explored below
Boundary group fallback for management points:
Hide Installed Applications in Software Center:
Report for default browser counts:
Happy exploring !