Microsoft released an updated version of System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP) version 6.0.278.0 is now available and can be downloaded here.
System Center Updates Publisher (Updates Publisher) is a stand-alone tool that enables independent software vendors or line-of-business application developers to manage custom updates.
Using Updates Publisher, you can:
- Import updates from external catalogs (non-Microsoft update catalogs).
- Modify update definitions including applicability, and deployment metadata.
- Export updates to external catalogs.
- Publish updates to an update server.
This released version of SCUP adds support for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 including following improvements:
- Indexing for quicker imports of previously imported catalogs – Catalog producers can now index their catalogs. This will allow users to more quickly import large catalogs containing few new updates.
- Inclusion of signing certificates within updates catalogs – Catalog producers can now include signing certificates with their updates catalogs. This enables users to add the certificates to the trusted publishers list during import so that approval prompts will not block publish operations.
If you have installed SCUP preview 1 or SCUP Preview 2 ,you must manually upgrade the installation to this version.
How to upgrade SCUP from old version to new version ?
I have the following SCUP version in my lab (126.96.36.199) which will be migrating to new version (6.0.278.0)
How to migrate to new version:
Since SCUP is stand alone tool and it doesn't require any database backup however ,i would like take the database file (scupdb.sdf) backup, incase of any issues after the migration. For more information about this database file refer this article
Close any existing SCUP Console (it doesnt allow more than one connection to open on the same machine for multiple users which i noticed).
If you did not close open SCUP console and proceed to install ,you will end up seeing below screen which will give you option to close and continue installation.
After the installation completed, you will see following screen
Now go to start menu and search for Update publisher and accept the license agreement
It will take few min to check the database availability and loan the console for you.
Now you should see the all the data and settings that were exist in previous version .
Go to about to check the SCUP Version.
All these settings like SCUP database and other settings in options will be retained from old version to new version.
If at all you don't see the configuration settings and catalogues ,you can load the database file that we taken backup in the first step.
Hope this helps to upgrade SCUP version from old to new and happy patching.