Microsoft releasing the technical preview updates for SCCM Configmgr every month as part of ongoing commitment to quality and innovation .These technical preview updates will help to test in lab environment and report feedback to Microsoft before they made General Available (current Branch).To see these preview updates in your Configmgr console,you must have the base version of SCCM Configmgr Technical preview 4 (not applicable to current branch).These Technical Preview updates are intended for use in a lab environment. For more information about technical preview and updates, please refer https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt595861.aspx?
Today,23rd April 2016 ,Microsoft released latest update 1604 (Note : this is only for Technical preview 4 but not for Current Branch V1602,Production version) with some exciting features .
Features/updates included in this update are:
- Improvements to Microsoft Passport for Work management: You can now deploy Passport for Work policies to domain-joined Windows 10 devices managed by the Configuration Manager client.
- Option for clients to switch to a new software update point: you can enable the option for Configuration Manager clients to switch to a new software update point when there are issues with the active software update point. For this option, you must have multiple software update points available on a primary site.
- Client settings to manage Client Cache Settings and client Peer Cache: Technical preview version 1604 introduces two new device client settings that affect the use of a client's cache. Both can be used individually but are configured on the same property sheet for client settings and combine to help you manage deployment of content to your clients in remote locations.
- Support for Passport for Work as a KSP: you can integrate with Microsoft Passport for Work which is an alternative sign-in method that uses Active Directory, or an Azure Active Directory account to replace a password, smart card, or virtual smart card.
- On-premises Device Health Attestation: Health attestation for Windows 10 devices can now be configured to communicate using the on-premises infrastructure. Administrators can specify whether reporting is done via the cloud or on-premises resources. If on-premises is selected for health attestation reporting, then a URI can be specified for the service. This enables client PCs without internet access to use enable and manage devices using health attestation.
- SmartLock setting for Android devices: A new setting, Allow SmartLock and other trust agents has been added to the Android and Samsung KNOX configuration item that lets you control the SmartLock feature on compatible Android devices.
- Manage volume-purchased apps from the Windows Store for Business : The Windows Store for Business is where you can find and purchase apps for your organization, individually or in volume. By connecting the store to Configuration Manager, you can manage volume-purchased apps from the Configuration Manager console,
For more information, read the documentation Technical Preview for System Center Configuration Manager https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt595861.aspx?
How do you get and install/upgrade the newly released update 1604 in your lab?
I am running Technical preview 4 with version update 1603 on my lab:
From the Configuration manager console ,go to Administration –>Cloud Services—>Updates and Servicing
Click on Check for updates and follow dmpdownloader.log from your Configmgr site server logs to see the progress. Make sure you have service connection point role installed and have access to internet for downloading the updates.
dmpdownloader.log will show you the progress of the download of update 1604 .
Content will be downloaded to E:\Configmgr\EasySetupPayload with Unique ID .
After a while ,download finished ,you should see the update available in the console which is ready for Install .
To install the update ,right click on the Update version 1604,select Install Update Pack
select ignore any prerequisites else ,it will stop the installation for any warnings and you are required to check the logs to identify any warnings and restart the procedure.
Look at the new features with this update (switch software update point)
For status ,you can either look in the console (Monitoring –Site Servicing Status) or log file called CMupdate.log in E:\configmgr\logs
During the installation of update 1604 ,it does the removal of older updates by keeping its previous update and flush all older updates.
After a while , Check the CMupdate.log , you will notice ,update installation is completed ‘INFO: Successfully dropped update pack installed notification to HMan CFD box.’
Now ,click anywhere in the console (to refresh it) ,you should see a prompt ‘A new version of console is available ‘ : 5.00.8385.1000 ,Click on Ok to upgrade the Console.
After a while ,console will be opened automatically for you :
However , the binaries for older updates still reside in the easysetupupload folder:
Check the configuration manager console version by clicking on the left top corner ,about configuration manager
Couple of new features that can be seen in the console:
1.Option for clients to switch to a new software update point :
Go to Assets and Compliance > Overview > Device collections.
On the Home tab, in the Collection group, click Client Notification, and then click Switch to Next Software Update Point. (This option is only available on sites that have multiple software update points.)
2.Client settings to manage Client Cache Settings and client Peer Cache:
Go to Administration > Client Settings, and then create a new device client settings object or modify an existing one to support client Peer Cache settings:
For existing client Device Settings, You need to select the setting in General Tab:
3. On-premises Device Health Attestation:
In the Configuration Manager console, navigate Administration > Overview > Client settings, and then set Use on-premises Healthy Attestation Service to Yes.
Technical Preview for System Center Configuration Manager https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt595861.aspx?